Irish Soda Bread
Author: Lady Tara (crockpotladies.com)
- 2½ Cups All-Purpose White Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- ¾ Cups Buttermilk
- Pan to Fit Inside Crock-Pot (if desired)
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Mix in butter with a pastry blender or your hand held mixer until dough is crumbly.
- Add in buttermilk, slowly about ¼ cup at a time, just until dough moves towards center of your bowl. You might not need all of it.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead by hand for about one minute, until smooth.
- Shape dough into a round loaf about 6-8 inches in diameter.
- Place loaf into bottom of greased crock-pot. You can also place into a pan first and put inside crock-pot. (see notes)
- Cut an X about a half-inch deep across top of loaf.
- Cook on high for about 2 hours.
- Bread is ready when it’s golden brown.
- Serve with butter and jam if desired.
I made this recipe in a 6.5 quart oval crock-pot. I greased my crock-pot with Crisco and put the loaf right in. It took about 2 hours and 10 minutes to get it golden brown. You can always take it out and slice the end off if you’re not sure it’s done. Just put the cover right back on to keep the heat inside. If you choose to put the loaf in a pan, make sure you check that the pan will fit in the crock-pot first and grease your pan lightly. You may need to adjust cooking times slightly.